Friday, May 15, 2015

Time to Garden

It's time to transplant the seedlings outdoors. I started them about three weeks ago from seeds I had left over from last year.  



I thought I give the seedling process another try as I had a successful harvest last summer. 


This year, however, instead of buying a plastic seedling tray, I decided to go into reuse/repurpose  mode and use eggshells and egg cartons to get the seedlings started.  I carefully washed the eggshells in hot soapy water and punched a hole for drainage. If the shell was too shallow, I would stack two of them together to create a taller and wider vessel.

So far I started onions,



Beefstake tomatoes,




and Sugar Daddy peas.


I thought the peas would take longer to sprout because the seed was so large and hard, but it shot up in a matter of days. Look at them now!

I  was hoping to have a vertical garden structure ready before transplanting anything but it looks like I will be in for another season of ground level gardening. No worries, I will continue to dream of a vertical garden oasis and rely on Pinterest to keep me inspired.


What will be growing in your garden? Have any gardening plans or stories to share?

1 comment:

  1. I thought I was following this blog but I must not be. I'll add it to my Bloglovin feed. Your plants look amazing! Looks like I won't be able to garden this year as I had planned, but I did buy a multi tiered planter system the other day so I'm looking forward to at least trying out some herbs in there. :-)

    ReplyDelete