Thursday, February 5, 2015

Gifted Memories


Can you guess what's in this box? 

 

Something really special that money can't buy.


It's a gift for a childhood friend. It goes without saying, her name is Patricia:)


Ready to see what's inside?  Drum roll please.



Letters, her letters to me during our college days way back when postage was 13 cents. Yes, I totally dated myself and I could care less. It was a time when long distance calling was cost prohibitive. 


During our last conversation, she told me she had little recollection of her college years. Immediately, I thought to myself, I could fix that. I can gift her her younger memories. Now that takes regifting to a whole new level:)

I kept her letters - a written account of her life, documented by her. I had a blast re-reading them, laughing and grinning through each one. If you have any record of your younger days, I'm sure you can relate. Hilarious!



It's sad that letters are no longer a part of our lives though; less intentional texting, social media exchange and email have rendered this very intentional form of correspondence obsolete. Once deleted, our very abbreviated digital correspondence disappears from our lives and lingers in the abyss of cyberspace.



But tangible letters are a joy to keep around and re-read, re-connect and re-visit. It's precious evidence of our lives much like the photos we take. 


How about you. Do you have a written account of your younger days or any part of your life?






No comments:

Post a Comment